Important Hiking Tips
What is Hiking?
Hiking is merely walking on a foot path, whether on a neighborhood trail that runs along the river or a more adventurous trail to a mountain ridge.
Benefits of Hiking
The most common benefits are:
- Weight loss.
- Decrease in blood pressure.
- Helps prevent osteoporosis by improving bone density.
- Relieves back pain.
- It is free!
- Wear comfortable shoes and socks to prevent your feet from blistering.
- Be careful when hiking up and down hills. Hiking up and down hills and mountains requires care, especially on slopes covered with loose gravel or loose dirt.
- Keep your knees bent and use side-stepping maneuvers when hiking on steep parts.
- Use a hiking stick or hiking poles for extra stability.
- Take your time. When you ascend to higher elevations, the air is thinner and has less oxygen.
- Be careful when crossing streams. Rocks and debris in the streams can be very slippery and hazardous.
- Bring your own water. Water running over rocks is not safe in most areas. The water may be contaminated with parasites or bacteria. If you plan to drink water from a stream, use a water filter or water purification tablets.
- Dress in layers. The weather can change dramatically. Dressing in layers will help ensure you maintain the proper body temperture.
- Do not leave your trash behind.
- Join a hiking group.
Where can I find it in Scottsdale? Click here!
- Laughter is the best medicine
- Taking Care of Your Oral Health
- New AZ booster seat law starting August 2nd
- Let's get physical: Take back the playground!
- Ways to boost your immunity
- Staying hydrated this summer
- Get ready for Mighty Mud Mania!
- Video: Coyote Curling Club
- Video: checking for pool and spa leaks
- Video: City of Scottsdale talks trash!
- Video: McDowell Mountain Ranch Golf Club news
- Mighty Mud Mania volunteers needed
- Mysteries of the heart revealed
- Pampered Chef supports local nutrition programs
- Free HeartMath booklet now available!
- Scottsdale challenge to "Eat 5 And Stay Alive"
- 5K race results from February 18th event
- 60 pounds of fresh produce for only $10!
- New farmer's market in Scottsdale
- What a wonderful world!
- What is aerobic exercise?
- Dance yourself to fitness!
- Which club should I use?
- Basics of Golf
- Many types of martial arts
- What is pilates and how do you say it?
- Spinning 101
- Benefits of swimming
- What is yoga?
- Tips on buying a new racquet
- Tennis? Really?!
- Running 101
- Walking tips and benefits
- Cycling 101
- Seven Principles of Healthy Homes
- Making Change Easier