Making Change Easier
Making Change Easier
Cindy Gockel, B.S. Health Sciences; Scottsdale Healthcare community health educator
It’s early in the year, and I bet you’re either actively making a change in your life, or you’re thinking about making a change, or you started doing something differently but found it was harder than you thought and have since “fallen off the wagon”. Often we say we don’t have enough discipline or that we don’t have enough motivation to keep doing the new behavior. The truth is, what we really need is a more robust plan. We need a comprehensive change plan that includes more strategies than just exerting our will power.
Does your change plan account for the influence exerted by your family, co-workers and the people in your wider social circles? All these people influence your choices, either for your benefit or your detriment. These people are either your friends or your accomplices. Friends keep you on track. They encourage and support your new behaviors. Accomplices want you to stick with your old, unhealthy behaviors. Sometimes your friends, the people you enjoy spending time with, are actually powerful accomplices. You need to correctly identify who’s a friend and who’s an accomplice. Even more than that, you need to make sure you have more friends than accomplices. Sometimes that means having a conversation with your accomplices to let them know the specific actions you want them to do, or not do, to support your new behaviors. If they can’t do what you ask, you may need to distance yourself from their influence. To have more friends than accomplices, you may also need to make new friends that already support your new behaviors and values.
For additional strategies to make change easier, check out the book “Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success”, or go to their website www.changeanything.com.
- Laughter is the best medicine
- Taking Care of Your Oral Health
- New AZ booster seat law starting August 2nd
- Let's get physical: Take back the playground!
- Ways to boost your immunity
- Staying hydrated this summer
- Get ready for Mighty Mud Mania!
- Video: Coyote Curling Club
- Video: checking for pool and spa leaks
- Video: City of Scottsdale talks trash!
- Video: McDowell Mountain Ranch Golf Club news
- Mighty Mud Mania volunteers needed
- Mysteries of the heart revealed
- Pampered Chef supports local nutrition programs
- Free HeartMath booklet now available!
- Scottsdale challenge to "Eat 5 And Stay Alive"
- 5K race results from February 18th event
- 60 pounds of fresh produce for only $10!
- New farmer's market in Scottsdale
- What a wonderful world!
- What is aerobic exercise?
- Dance yourself to fitness!
- Which club should I use?
- Basics of Golf
- Important Hiking Tips
- Many types of martial arts
- What is pilates and how do you say it?
- Spinning 101
- Benefits of swimming
- What is yoga?
- Tips on buying a new racquet
- Tennis? Really?!
- Running 101
- Walking tips and benefits
- Cycling 101
- Seven Principles of Healthy Homes