Many types of martial arts
The term "martial arts" refers to all of the various systems of training for combat that have been arranged or systematized. Generally, these different systems or styles are all designed for one purpose: physically defeating opponents and defending against threats. In fact, the word ‘martial’ derives from the name Mars, who was the Roman god of war.
Generally, martial arts can be broken down into five distinct categories: Stand-up or striking styles, grappling styles, low impact styles, weapons based styles, and MMA (A Hybrid Sports Style). Along with this, the emergence of MMA has caused quite a bit of mixing of styles in recent years to the point that a lot of dojos don't look quite the same as they used to. Regardless, below are some of the more well-known styles.
Striking or Stand-Up Styles
- Krav Maga
- Kung Fu
- Tae Kwon Do
Grappling or Ground Fighting Styles
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Russian Sambo
Throwing or Takedown Styles
- Shuai Jiao
Weapons Based Styles
Low Impact or Meditative Styles
- Tai Chi
- Chi Gong based styles
- Laughter is the best medicine
- Taking Care of Your Oral Health
- New AZ booster seat law starting August 2nd
- Let's get physical: Take back the playground!
- Ways to boost your immunity
- Staying hydrated this summer
- Get ready for Mighty Mud Mania!
- Video: Coyote Curling Club
- Video: checking for pool and spa leaks
- Video: City of Scottsdale talks trash!
- Video: McDowell Mountain Ranch Golf Club news
- Mighty Mud Mania volunteers needed
- Mysteries of the heart revealed
- Pampered Chef supports local nutrition programs
- Free HeartMath booklet now available!
- Scottsdale challenge to "Eat 5 And Stay Alive"
- 5K race results from February 18th event
- 60 pounds of fresh produce for only $10!
- New farmer's market in Scottsdale
- What a wonderful world!
- What is aerobic exercise?
- Dance yourself to fitness!
- Which club should I use?
- Basics of Golf
- Important Hiking Tips
- What is pilates and how do you say it?
- Spinning 101
- Benefits of swimming
- What is yoga?
- Tips on buying a new racquet
- Tennis? Really?!
- Running 101
- Walking tips and benefits
- Cycling 101
- Seven Principles of Healthy Homes
- Making Change Easier