Taking Care of Your Oral Health
TAKING CARE OF YOUR ORAL HEALTH
Brushing alone isn't enough to clean all of the plaque from the surface of your teeth. Interproximal areas (those places in between your teeth) and below the gumline are two spots where the toothbrush can't reach and plaque can build up. These are areas that are more susceptible to cavities. Daily flossing and regular visits to your dentist are the only effective ways to remove this plaque.
Did you know that failing to floss means up to 35% of your tooth surface goes uncleaned?
What's dental floss made of?
Dental floss is a man-made fibre (usually made of nylon) that comes on a spool. Ask your dentist how to correctly use dental floss if you're not sure.
Brushing your teeth is one of the most effective ways of removing plaque from the exposed surfaces of your teeth.
What's the best kind of brush to use?
Contrary to what you might think, a gentle brushing with a soft-bristle toothbrush is just as effective (and less damaging!) than a vigorous scrubbing with a stiff-bristle toothbrush.
Your tooth enamel is relatively thin. Years of aggressive brushing can begin to wear away the enamel and make the teeth sensitive. (Remember, the enamel on your teeth does not contain nerve fibres, but the dentin layer underneath does. See the Healthy Teeth page on Cavities.) Brushing too hard can also damage your gums.
- Laughter is the best medicine
- New AZ booster seat law starting August 2nd
- Let's get physical: Take back the playground!
- Ways to boost your immunity
- Staying hydrated this summer
- Get ready for Mighty Mud Mania!
- Video: Coyote Curling Club
- Video: checking for pool and spa leaks
- Video: City of Scottsdale talks trash!
- Video: McDowell Mountain Ranch Golf Club news
- Mighty Mud Mania volunteers needed
- Mysteries of the heart revealed
- Pampered Chef supports local nutrition programs
- Free HeartMath booklet now available!
- Scottsdale challenge to "Eat 5 And Stay Alive"
- 5K race results from February 18th event
- 60 pounds of fresh produce for only $10!
- New farmer's market in Scottsdale
- What a wonderful world!
- What is aerobic exercise?
- Dance yourself to fitness!
- Which club should I use?
- Basics of Golf
- Important Hiking Tips
- Many types of martial arts
- What is pilates and how do you say it?
- Spinning 101
- Benefits of swimming
- What is yoga?
- Tips on buying a new racquet
- Tennis? Really?!
- Running 101
- Walking tips and benefits
- Cycling 101
- Seven Principles of Healthy Homes
- Making Change Easier