What is pilates and how do you say it?
Pilates (pronounced "pi-LAH-tees") is a form of exercise, developed by Joseph Pilates, which emphasizes the balanced development of the body through core strength, flexibility, and awareness in order to support efficient, graceful movement.
Pilates is one of the most popular exercise systems in the country.
One of the best things about the Pilates method is that it works so well for a wide range of people. Athletes and dancers love it, as do seniors, women rebounding from pregnancy, and people who at various stages of physical rehabilitation.
The top benefits doing of Pilates exercise that people report are that they become stronger, longer, leaner, and more able to do anything with grace and ease.
Modification is the key to Pilates exercise success with a variety of populations. All exercises are developed with modifications that can make a workout safe and challenging for a person at any level.
Core strength is the foundation of Pilates exercise. The core muscles are the deep, internal muscles of the abdomen and back. When the core muscles are strong and doing their job, as they are trained to do in Pilates, they work in tandem with the more superficial muscles of the trunk to support the spine and movement.
As you develop your core strength you develop stability throughout your entire torso. This is one of the ways Pilates helps people overcome back pain. As the trunk is properly stabilized, pressure on the back is relieved and the body is able to move freely and efficiently.
Pilates exercises are done on either on a mat on the floor, Pilates mat work, or on exercise equipment developed by Joseph Pilates. The workout equipment that we use in Pilates generally utilizes pulleys and resistance from the participants own body weight on the machine and graduated levels of springs. The reformer is probably the best-known piece of resistance equipment that you will encounter at a Pilates studio.
- Laughter is the best medicine
- Taking Care of Your Oral Health
- New AZ booster seat law starting August 2nd
- Let's get physical: Take back the playground!
- Ways to boost your immunity
- Staying hydrated this summer
- Get ready for Mighty Mud Mania!
- Video: Coyote Curling Club
- Video: checking for pool and spa leaks
- Video: City of Scottsdale talks trash!
- Video: McDowell Mountain Ranch Golf Club news
- Mighty Mud Mania volunteers needed
- Mysteries of the heart revealed
- Pampered Chef supports local nutrition programs
- Free HeartMath booklet now available!
- Scottsdale challenge to "Eat 5 And Stay Alive"
- 5K race results from February 18th event
- 60 pounds of fresh produce for only $10!
- New farmer's market in Scottsdale
- What a wonderful world!
- What is aerobic exercise?
- Dance yourself to fitness!
- Which club should I use?
- Basics of Golf
- Important Hiking Tips
- Many types of martial arts
- Spinning 101
- Benefits of swimming
- What is yoga?
- Tips on buying a new racquet
- Tennis? Really?!
- Running 101
- Walking tips and benefits
- Cycling 101
- Seven Principles of Healthy Homes
- Making Change Easier